Faneuil Hall

Please enable Javascript!

 

 

1772

Faneuil Hall

The "Cradle of Liberty," this old market building was first built in 1742. Town meetings held here between 1764 and 1774 heard revolutionary firebrand Samuel Adams and others lead cries of protest against the imposition of taxes on the colonies.

At a town meeting in 1772, Adams' motion to create a Committee of Correspondence "to state the rights of the Colonists... and to communicate the same to the several towns and to the world" was adopted. This was the first such committee; Virginia's followed, in an effort led by Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson. These committees coordinated the activities of patriot activists and played an essential role in the events that led to the Revolution.

The building was enlarged in 1806. Through the 19th century, it hosted abolitionists William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglas and other defenders of freedom. It is still serves today for vital political speeches and debates.

For visitor information, please see:

Boston National Historical Park: www.nps.gov/bost

Faneuil Hall is also part of the Boston Freedom Trail: www.thefreedomtrail.org

© 2005-2011 Panospin Studios and Carlton SooHoo