Fort Hill, Roxbury

Please enable Javascript!

 

 

June 1775

Fort Hill, Roxbury

During the Siege of Boston, when militia and Minutemen surrounded British-controlled Boston, Fort Hill became important as it was located at the only land exit from Boston which was only connected to land by the narrow Roxbury Neck.

The Siege came to an end when Henry Knox, under General Washington's orders, dragged cannons from Ft. Ticonderoga onto Dorchester Heights.

While Dorchester Heights had an actual fortification, Fort Hill mainly had earthen redoubts as a barricade of sorts. A battle took place in which the British moved back towards Boston, while the Colonists took control of the area, thus securing the siege. The actual tower that is there now was erected as a memorial during the Civil War.

© 2005-2011 Panospin Studios and Carlton SooHoo

The North Bridge Minuteman Statue The Longfellow Home Eames's Rangers Hartwell Tavern Lexington Battle Green Monument Buckman Tavern Captain Parker Statue Lexington Battle Green Bunker Hill Knox's Cannons Dorchester Heights Fort Hill Old North Church